The Greatest Book Never!
Over the years I've developed something of a preoccupation with theological compilation volumes. Though such volumes generally only undergo a single printing (only to be forever lost in the annals of publishing), they contain some of the richest and most focused theological articles and essays on a variety of theological subjects. Perhaps, another reason for my penchant for compilation volumes is the fact that I've always treated my own library as one, large compilation volume. I've long wished that there was one compilation volume of what I believe to be the most formative biblical theological chapters and essays. If I could put such a volume together, it would be one spectacularly great book. To that end, here are the chapters that I wish were bound together in one volume:
- R.A. Finlayson, "The Creator as Redeemer," in The Cross in the Experience of Our Lord (Ross-Shire, Scotland, 2015) pp. 25-39.
- J.V. Fesko, "The Garden-Temple of Eden," in Last Things First: Unlocking Genesis with the Christ of Eschatology(Ross-Shire: Christian Focus, 2007) pp. 57-76.
- Stuart Robinson, "Redemption as Revealed to the Patriarchs in the Theophanies," in Discourses of Redemption (New York: D. Appleton & Co., 1866) pp. 57-74.
- Meredith Kline, "Inauguration of Redemptive Covenant," in Kingdom Prologue (Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2006) pp. 143-160.
- Meredith Kline, "Prophetic Cult in the City of Man," in Kingdom Prologue (Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2006)pp. 161-188.
- Theophilus Herter, "The Seed and the Promise," in The Abrahamic Covenant in the Gospels (Houston, TX: Classical Anglican Press, 1999) pp. 77,-128. (chapter posted with permission from the Reformed Episcopal Recorder).
- W. J. Dumbrell, "The Covenant with Noah," in Covenant and Creation (Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2009) pp. 11ff.
- Edmund Clowney, "The Rock of Moses," in The Unfolding Mystery (Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R Publishing, 2013) pp. 83-97.
- Geerhardus Vos, "The Mosaic Theocracy," in Eschatology of the Old Testament (Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R Publishing, 2001) pp. 117–121.
- Vern Poythress, "False Worship, Holy War, and Penal Substitution: Prefiguring the Spiritual Warfare of Christ Warfare of Christ and His Church," in The Shadow of Christ in the Law of Moses (Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R Publishing, 1995)
- O. Palmer Robertson, "Conclusion" to The Christ of the Prophets (Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R Publishing, 2004) pp. 499-502
- G.K. Beale, "The Church as the Transformed and Restored Eschatological Israel," in New Testament Biblical Theology (Baker Book House, 2011) pp. 651-703.
- Herman Ridderbos, "The Kingdom Has Come," in The Coming of the Kingdom (Ontario: Paideia Press, 1978) pp. 61-184.
- G.K. Beale, "The inauguration of a new temple in the book of Acts," in The Temple and the Church's Mission (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2005) pp. 201-243.
- Geerhardus Vos, "The Epistle's Philosophy and Revelation of Redemption," in The Teaching of the Epistle to the Hebrews (J. G. (Phillipsburg, NJ: Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Co., 1956) pp. 49–87.
- Vern Poythress, "Counterfeiting in the Book of Revelation," in "Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society" 40/3 (1997) 411-18.